Biological Control in Latin America and the Caribbean:
Its Rich History and Bright Future.
Joop C. van Lenteren (Laboratory of Entomology, Wageningen University, The Netherlands),
Vanda H.P. Bueno (Laboratory of Biological Control, Federal University of Lavras, Brazil),
M. Gabriela Luna (Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Argentina), and
Yelitza C. Colmenarez (CABI Brazil, Botucatu, Brazil)
December 2019, 550 pages, ISBN 9781789242430
Order the book: https://www.cabi.org/bookshop/book/9781789242430
IOBC members are invited to use the code CCIOBC20 for a 20% discount when purchasing copies for individual use only. This discount is available until the end of December 2020.
The book summarizes the history of biocontrol in Latin America. Few publications provide historical detail and the records are, therefore, fragmented until now. By bringing information together in this book, a complete picture of important developments in biological control on this continent is provided. There are a wealth of text, tables and references about the history of projects, and which were successful and which failed. This will help plan future biocontrol projects. An overview is provided of the current situation in biocontrol for many countries, revealing an astonishing level of practical biocontrol applied in the region, making it the largest area under biocontrol worldwide. The final part describes new developments and speculates about the future of biocontrol in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Complete and documented overview of biocontrol in Latin America and the Caribbean, together with records of invasive and native pests.
- Unique examples of natural, classical, augmentative and conservation biocontrol.
- Thirty country specific chapters written by national specialists.
- Reveals many internationally unknown cases of biocontrol and their research history.
- The first serious attempt to estimate crops and areas under different types of biocontrol.
About the Editors
List of Contributors
Dedication and Acknowledgements
- Biological Control in Latin America and the Caribbean: Information Sources, Organizations, Types and Approaches in Biological Control: J.C. van Lenteren,V.H.P. Bueno, M.G. Luna, Y.C. Colmenarez
- Biological Control in Argentina: N.M. Greco, G. Cabrera Walsh, M.G. Luna
- Biological Control in Barbados: J.C. van Lenteren, Y.C. Colmenarez
- Biological Control in Belize: E.E. Sosa, F. Blanco, J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Bolivia: J.P. Franco, L.V. Crespo, Y.C. Colmenarez, J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Brazil: V.H.P. Bueno, J.R.P. Parra, W. Bettiol, J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Chile: L. Barra-Bucarei, L. Devotto Moreno, A.F. Iglesias
- Biological Control in Colombia: T. Kondo, M.R. Manzano, A. Marina Cotes
- Biological control in Costa Rica: H. Blanco-Metzler, R. Morera-Montoya
- Biological Control in Cuba: M.E. Márquez, L.L. Vázquez, M. Rodríguez, J.L. Ayala Sifontes, F. Fuentes, M. Ramos, L. Hidalgo, L. Herrera
- Biological Control in Dominica: J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in the Dominican Republic: C. Serra, J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Continental Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands: C.C. Castillo, P. Gallegos, C.E. Causton
- Biological Control in El Salvador: J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in French Guiana, Guadeloupe and Martinique: P. Ryckewaert and J. Vayssières
- Biological Control in Guatemala: J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Guyana: J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Haiti: P. Ryckewaert, J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Honduras: R. Trabanino, A. Pitty, R.D. Cave
- Biological Control in Jamaica: M.A. Sherwood, J.C. van Lenteren
- Biological Control in Mexico: H.C. Arredondo-Bernal, B. Rodríguez-Vélez
- Biological Control in Nicaragua: P. Castillo
- Biological Control in Panama: B. Zachrisson, A. Barba
- Biological Control in Paraguay: C.C.C. Antúnez, G.R. Romero, V.A.G. López
- Biological Control in Peru: N. Mujica, M. Whu
- Biological Control in Puerto Rico: M. Ramos, O. Ramos-Rodriguez, F. Gallardo-Covas
- Biological Control in the Remaining Caribbean Islands: J.C. van Lenteren, V.H.P. Bueno
- Biological Control in Suriname: A. van Sauers-Muller, M. Jagroep
- Biological Control in Trinidad and Tobago: A. Khan, W. Isaac
- Biological Control in Uruguay: C. Basso, A. Ribeiro, X. Cibils, W. Chiaravalle, K. Punschke
- Biological Control in Venezuela: C. Vásquez, F. Ferrer, Y.C. Colmenarez, J. Morales Sanchez
- The Uptake of Biological Control in Latin America and the Caribbean: J.C. van Lenteren and M.J.W. Cock