Structure and Members
The commission on “Integrated Production, Protection and Biocontrol in North African Countries” has been officially established by the IOBC-WPRS Council on September 4, 2010. The commission has 5 members from Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia:
- Abdelkrim SI BACHIR, Univ. Batna 2, (Batna, Algeria)
- Ahmed H. EL-HENEIDY, Plant Protection Research Institute (Giza, Egypt)
- Esam ELGHADi, Biotechnology Research Center (Tripoli, Libya)
- Olfa EZZINE, National Research Institute of Rural Engineering, (Tunis, Tunisia)
- Elaini RACHID, IPM Department Manager (Agadir, Morocco)
Download Brochure (pdf) “Commission for IP & Biocontrol in North-African countries”, prepared by Mohammed Besri, Commission Convenor, 2011
The main tasks of the commission are:
- Identify in each country the main agricultural universities, research institutions, associations/societies that are involved in agriculture and sustainable plant protection
- Establish a network among North African countries to promote biocontrol, IPM and IP in the region
- Contact potential stakeholders (such as government bodies, research institutes, commercial organizations and industries related to plant protection, production and exports) and make them familiar with the major activities and results of IOBC-WPRS.
- Identify special crop protection problems in North African countries to assist the region to develop and implement sustainable solutions
- Organise regional workshops on plant protection, in collaboration with IOBC working and study groups
The main actions to undertake during the period 2022-2023 are:
- Identify the commission members
- Editing a Brochure introducing the commission “Integrated production, Protection and Biological control for North Africa”
- Prepare and Insert information in the IOBC-WPRS website
- Prepare a survey form to be sent to the commission members and synthesis of the survey form
- Agreement on an activity program
- Meeting of the commission
The results of the commissions activities are published in bulletins:
First International Congress on Biological and Integrated Control in Algeria (CILBIA1), jointly organized by the University of Batna (Algeria), the Scientific Association “Biology, Biodiversity and Sustainability” (BBD, Algeria) and the IOBC-WPRS Commission for “IP & Biocontrol in North-African Countries”, 04.-06.02.2019 in Batna, Algeria.
Regional Symposium on the management of fruit flies in Near East countries, 06.-08.11.2012, Hammamet, Tunisia. Symposium organized jointly by FAO, FAO-IAEA, NEPPO, IOBC North Africa Commission, the GD Plant Protection in Tunisia and the Tunisian Association of Plant Protection.
EPPO/IOBC/FAO/NEPPO Joint International Symposium on management of Tuta absoluta, held in Agadir, Morocco, 2011-11-16/18
The proceedings have been published in the EPPO bulletin 42,2,203-343, 2012.