Effective and efficient mitigation methods to reduce GHG emission should be applied that do not reduce productivity (both in terms of quality and quantity).
Specifically the following strategies should be evaluated and eventually adapted (see also the other chapters of these guidelines):
- Agrochemical input reduction (pesticides and notably mineral fertilizers).
- Soil management (directed on improving soil structure) minimal tillage.
- Organic matter management, (crop residues, green manures, soil cultivation techniques, crop choice and rotation).
- Best practice of organic manure processing (e.g. biodigestion) and management/distribution (e.g. very fast incorporation or injection in soil).
- Mechanisation, reduce number of operations, fuel use, low energy consuming irrigation, etc.
- Energy use in storage and processing.