The prevention and/or suppression of key pests and diseases should be supported among other options, in particular:
- Choice of appropriate resistant/tolerant cultivars.
- Use of methods to reduce the overwintering inoculum of the pathogens as a measure for delaying/reducing the disease epidemics in the next season.
- Use of biofumigation (i.e. cover crops species producing glucosinolates) against specific pests (e.g. Xiphinema spp.)
- Sanitation measures, including for instance:
- Removal of affected bunches from plants, trellis and soil surface,
- Removal of affected wood tissue through pruning and curettage techniques,
- Removal of infected cane residue from soil surface, use the hyperparasite Ampelomyces spp. to reduce the production/viability of the chasmothecia of powdery mildew.