The prevention and/or suppression of key pests and diseases should be supported among other options especially by:
- Choice of appropriate resistant/tolerant cultivars,
- Removal or destruction of overwintering sources of infestation or infection (e.g. wood scab, canker, brown rot, leaves against apple scab) as far as practically possible is required. For instance:
- Cardboard trapping of overwintering larvae of Cydia pomonella,
- Placement of refugia, e.g. for spiders or earwigs, in fruit trees,
- Removal of sources of infestation during the season such as powdery mildew.