New Book: Biological Control in Latin America and the Caribbean - Its Rich History and Bright Future
Edited by Joop C. van Lenteren, Vanda H.P. Bueno, M. Gabriela Luna and Yelitza C. Colmenarez,
December 2019, 550 pages, ISBN 9781789242430
Written mainly by IOBC-NTRS authors.
The book summarizes the history of biocontrol in Latin America. Few publications provide historical detail and the records are, therefore, fragmented until now. By bringing information together in this book, a complete picture of important developments in biological control on this continent is provided. There are a wealth of text, tables and references about the history of projects, and which were successful and which failed. This will help plan future biocontrol projects. An overview is provided of the current situation in biocontrol for many countries, revealing an astonishing level of practical biocontrol applied in the region, making it the largest area under biocontrol worldwide. The final part describes new developments and speculates about the future of biocontrol in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Complete and documented overview of biocontrol in Latin America and the Caribbean, together with records of invasive and native pests.
- Unique examples of natural, classical, augmentative and conservation biocontrol.
- Thirty country specific chapters written by national specialists.
- Reveals many internationally unknown cases of biocontrol and their research history.
- The first serious attempt to estimate crops and areas under different types of biocontrol.
The book can be ordered in the CABI bookshop: https://www.cabi.org/bookshop/book/9781789242430