The prevention and/or suppression of key pests and diseases should be supported among other options especially by:
- Choice of appropriate resistant/tolerant cultivars is recommended.
- Use of methods to reduce the overwintering inoculum of the pathogens as a measure for delaying/reducing the disease epidemics in the next season is highly recommended.
- Pruning, irrigation and elimination of other wood damaging factors may control pests such as scales and scolytids or diseases.
- Take into account any adjacent abandoned olives groves that may act as sources of pests and diseases.
- Removal of dead twigs and mummified fruits will reduce inoculum of Anthracnose.
Bactrocera oleae (olive fruit fly)
- Plants favouring presence of parasitoids can be used to enrich the vegetation cover.